S2USB485 Interface USB to RS485 / RS232 / N2 Interface
The S2USB485 is a USB to full-duplex RS-232 and half-duplex RS-485 serial converter integrated into a single device. In essence the S2USB485 is a single USB serial port that has two electrical interfaces available to it (RS-232 and RS-485). Either interface can be used without the need to set jumpers or change dip switch settings.
The S2USB485 can be used as a replacement to the Johnson Controls MM-CVT101 (RS-232 to N2 Bus) / CVTPro100 converter for those computers or laptops that have a USB interface. In addition to direct support for Johnson Controls software (Metasys, HVAC Pro, etc), the S2USB485 provides the following improved features and functionality:
- USB interface and so is supported by the latest laptops and operating systems
- Does not require an external power supply. The device is entirely USB interface powered
- Incorporates both a RS-232C and N2 (RS-485) bus interface so that multiple converters are not necessary.
- N2 Bus communication is supported under Windows 7 (32/64 bit), XP, 2000 directly.
- Transmit and Receive Indicators
- N2 Bus flow control internally controlled (i.e. no jumpers or resistors to add/modify)
- N2 Bus has end of line termination (EOL) enabled or disabled by an internal slide switch
- Designed and Manufactured in Canada using Industrial grade components
- Note: ZoneBus support via the JCI CVTPro is not available at this time.
- ROHS Compliant
- New Version (July 2008) now has enhanced overvoltage protection and internal auto reset-able thermal fuses in the event of high voltages present on the RS485 / N2 bus
- New Version (July 2008) includes enhanced mechanical rigidity of the RS485/N2 bus connector
- New Version (July 2008) includes OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) of the RS485/N2 Bus. OBD allows our S2USB485DiagN2 software to electrically analyze (voltage measuring) the RS485/N2 bus and indicate electrical issues to the user.
- As of July 2008, the anchored cable version of the S2USB485 (part number S2USB485-JC-C) has been reluctantly discontinued do to the quality issues with our anchored cable manufacturer. Only the S2USB485-JC-B is now offered with or without the required USB cable (a Type A to Type B).
- New Version (July 2008) Pricing has been maintained for this enhanced S2USB485 version. The included cable version is priced the same as the old anchored cable version
- Vista Tested and Compatible
- Tested and compatible with JCI's HVACPro and JCI's FX CommPro
- Windows 7 Compatible. Please see the two installation documents on the right for the procedure for using HVACPro/CommPro under Windows 7
- Windows 8 - Compatible Drivers have been released. They are located below under latest Drivers.
- Windows 8 - JCI software tools such as HVACPro, etc do not to work under Windows 8 Natively. Windows 7 has XP mode which allowed for legacy applications to be used, but Windows 8 currently does not have an XP mode equivalent. It is recommended that HVACPro users, etc continue to use Windows XP or Windows 7 with XP Mode (only available with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate). If you need to use Windows 8 with JCI Software tools you need to install a Licensed copy of Windows XP in your preferred Virtualuzation software (i.e. Virtual Box, VMWare, etc) under Windows 8.
Supported Operating Systems: