S2USB485 Interface USB to RS485 / RS232 / N2 Interface
The S2USB485 is a USB to full-duplex RS-232 and half-duplex RS-485 serial converter integrated into a single device. In essence the S2USB485 is a single USB serial port that has two electrical interfaces available to it (RS-232 and RS-485). Either interface can be used without the need to set jumpers or change dip switch settings.
The S2USB485 can be used as a replacement to the Johnson Controls MM-CVT101 (RS-232 to N2 Bus) / CVTPro100 converter for those computers or laptops that have a USB interface. In addition to direct support for Johnson Controls software (Metasys, HVAC Pro, etc), the S2USB485 provides the following improved features and functionality:
- USB interface and so is supported by the latest laptops and operating systems
- Does not require an external power supply. The device is entirely USB interface powered
- Incorporates both a RS-232C and N2 (RS-485) bus interface so that multiple converters are not necessary.
- N2 Bus communication is supported under Windows 7 (32/64 bit), XP, 2000 directly.
- Transmit and Receive Indicators
- N2 Bus flow control internally controlled (i.e. no jumpers or resistors to add/modify)
- N2 Bus has end of line termination (EOL) enabled or disabled by an internal slide switch
- Designed and Manufactured in Canada using Industrial grade components
- ZoneBus is not officially supported, but internal testing using the S2USB485 with JCI's CVTPro300 (for the ZoneBus electrical interface) indicates that HVACPro (Ver 8.08) works fine under Windows XP and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit via XP mode).
- ROHS Compliant
- New Version (July 2008) now has enhanced overvoltage protection and internal auto reset-able thermal fuses in the event of high voltages present on the RS485 / N2 bus
- New Version (July 2008) includes enhanced mechanical rigidity of the RS485/N2 bus connector
- New Version (July 2008) includes OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) of the RS485/N2 Bus. OBD allows our S2USB485DiagN2 software to electrically analyze (voltage measuring) the RS485/N2 bus and indicate electrical issues to the user.
- As of July 2008, the anchored cable version of the S2USB485 (part number S2USB485-JC-C) has been reluctantly discontinued do to the quality issues with our anchored cable manufacturer. Only the S2USB485-JC-B is now offered with or without the required USB cable (a Type A to Type B).
- New Version (July 2008) Pricing has been maintained for this enhanced S2USB485 version. The included cable version is priced the same as the old anchored cable version
- Vista Tested and Compatible
- Tested and compatible with JCI's HVACPro and JCI's FX CommPro
- Windows 7 Compatible. Please see the two installation documents on the right for the procedure for using HVACPro/CommPro under Windows 7
- Windows 8 - Compatible Drivers have been released. They are located below under latest Drivers.
- Windows 8 - JCI software tools such as HVACPro, etc do not to work under Windows 8 Natively. Windows 7 has XP mode which allowed for legacy applications to be used, but Windows 8 currently does not have an XP mode equivalent. It is recommended that HVACPro users, etc continue to use Windows XP or Windows 7 with XP Mode (only available with Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate). If you need to use Windows 8 with JCI Software tools you need to install a Licensed copy of Windows XP in your preferred Virtualuzation software (i.e. Virtual Box, VMWare, etc) under Windows 8.
Supported Operating Systems: